Jak-Hammered Ohio Buck


I would like to share my latest success story with you. I own a 154 acre whitetail paradise in Adams County in southern Ohio, and I manage it for trophy deer. Having been so selective as to harvest no bucks under 140", I believe it finally paid off big for me.

It all started on the afternoon of November 3rd, 2013. With the rut kickin' in full swing, I headed to one of my favorite stands at about 2:30 pm. It was located on the edge of a 25 acre wooded sanctuary near a bottleneck that connects to a 35 acre wooded hollow. With the cool temperatures and a SE wind, conditions seemed perfect. Then, at about 3:30, the wind began coming out of the SSW, which was blowing down my neck. Not good. It was the worst possible wind I could've had for that stand. As I fought with the decision to pack up and head to a different stand, I saw a doe feeding along the edge of the thicket toward a creek to my right that runs through the bottleneck. I was hoping she would retreat back to the thicket so I could slip out of there before primetime, but she never did. Instead, she kept feeding, and I noticed movement to her left. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was a HUGE non-typical buck I had received pictures of on a Vita-Rack mineral lick with my Moultrie D55 IR game camera a few weeks before.

I grunted to him softly, but he showed no interest. All I could do was watch and hope he would push the doe in my direction and follow without catching my scent. He didn't. He followed the doe through the bottleneck, and they both disappeared into the hollow. I was sick. I wouldn't have the opportunity to hunt that stand for several days because of the SW winds they were forecasting. Then, on the morning of November 7th, I decided to hunt a stand to the east of the sanctuary.

The stand was located on a fencerow between a soybean field, a clover field and a grown up field they used as a bedding area. Having seen four smaller bucks and about 25 does before 7:15 am, it was an unbelievable morning. Then, at about 8:10, 2 does came out into the bean field from the back corner of the sanctuary. Following behind the pair of does was my buck. As they headed toward my stand, they were getting into my wind, but I was confident that with my Scent Lok suit, they wouldn't smell me, and being in Realtree AP camo, they wouldn't see me. As they worked closer and closer, I was getting ready. The does headed to a clover field while the buck headed right up the fencerow toward my stand. Having my old Horton Express crossbow in hand, I was ready. As he closed the distance, I ranged him at 37 yards.

At this point, I had my crosshair on him, just waiting for him to stop. He took two more steps, stopped, and looked towards the tree I was in. Wondering if he caught my wind, I aimed at the middle of his chest, which was the only shot he presented me, and squeezed the trigger. I heard my Wasp Jak-Hammer broadhead hit him with a smack. He spun around and headed toward the bean field. After going about 40 yards, he went down like a bag of hammers. I couldn't believe it! I gave him a couple of minutes...

Actually, I gave myself a few minutes to restart my heart and get my nerves under control. Finally I made it out of the stand (alive) and went and put my hands on him. He was a Giant! No ground shrinkage here. He had 19 scorable points and a 20th point that was just under an inch. The mass was unreal. After over 30 years of deer hunting, I finally got my giant.

So I called my wife, Carol, and a few huntin' buddies to tell them the big news. Unbelievable! After getting my tag on him and getting him out of the field, I headed to a local bow shop to have him officially scored. I didn't believe it; 194 and 7/8 inches! Wow, what a deer! Thank you so much for your awesome broadheads, because without them, I know it wouldn't have been possible.

Related Kill Stories

Double lung 40 yards

This Coastal South Carolina buck gave me a 15 yard broadside shot and the Jak-Knife certainly performed well.